Twilighters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Twilight Movie Thoughts

Go down 
+3
cklover42
Lusty
Trina
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Trina
Administrator
Trina

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Twilight Movie Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 5:47 pm

First off me and Crystal really liked the movie. Great story, neat special effects and it's supernatural with Vampires and Werewolves, so you know we're in lol. Also keep in mind I haven't read any of the books. Well I started the first one but didn't finish.

OK so here's my honest thoughts on the movie.

It's very Mary Sue! Mary Sue is basically when a female writer pretty much makes themselves the main character and plays out their own fantasies. They may name them differently but you can tell it's them. I know people accuse the books of being Mary Sue and they most likely are because the movie is. Here's the main reason it comes off as Mary Sue. The female lead moves to a new town and goes to a new school. All the guys instantly like and or want her. MARY SUE! lol. Jacob sees her like once and is in love. All the guys she meets at school fawn all over her. And she's not hot, nope she's a normal average looking girl.

Now the Edward wanting her part isn't Mary Sue because she's his soul mate and in the supernatural world there is that instant attraction to ones mate. But the rest of the guys wanting her screams Mary Sue. Not sure if the author intended it that way but it really comes across that way.

The romance between Bella and Edward is beautiful and so intense right from the start. It seems as their feelings almost become intense too fast. But then if you step back and you've read other supernatural books you know that soul mates bond almost instantly. So we let that one go and chalked it up to bonded soul mates. It makes sense the way Edward as never been attracted to any girl the way he is to Bella over all his years of life. Because no one is her, no one could ever be his mate but Bella she's the one he's been waiting for.

Jacob, I love him. You feel kinda bad cause you can tell he likes Bella. But she's all obsessed with Edward the hot unattainable guy. Jacob is the like the best male friend you never notice cause you too busy trying to find mister right. Doesn't hurt he's a cutie either, and that hair... WIN. He's so young though lol. Eward is cute too, not really our type but Robert is perfect for the role.

You put aside the mary sue issues because the story is great. If you can get past that and just enjoy the movie I think you'll really love it. There's supernatural stuff, romance, action and comedy pretty much everything we like in a movie. Movies like this just don't get made that often. So I tend to enjoy it rather then nitpick like some reviews have done.

Favorite parts of the movie

The little goth vamp fantasy with Bella and Edward. So hot, probably the best Edward looked in the whole movie lol.

When Bella's dad was drinking beer and cleaning his gun lol. That was really funny!

James... really any scene with him in it! RAWR but the best is when he had Bella pinned up against the wall... *done.

When Jacob and Eward have their stare down before the prom. That right there made me want to watch the next movie.

The end when they're dancing at the prom. Just sweet, romantic and a sign of things to come. Plus is really set up for the next movie.
Back to top Go down
Lusty
Twilight Lover
Lusty

Female
Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:07 pm

Hrm....never heard of the term "Mary Sue" before. It could very well be though. But who knows for sure? (except Stephanie Meyer, of course Razz)

I also loved the tiny bits of humor sprinkled throughout the movie. My faves being the little "pepper spray" running gag and when Charlie cocked his shotgun when Bella mentioned Edward coming over to meet him, lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
cklover42
True Twilighter
cklover42

Female
Number of posts : 2124
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:28 pm

Well hello their admin I havent really seen any other admins besides Tam on here so hello it is nice to hear from you! Very Happy I think that is pretty much how someone who has never read the books looks at it. My aunt was saying the same stuff before she read the books and then was like....oh I see. You have to read the books to truly grasp what is going on. The movie is such a condensed version the love between Edward and Bella especially with their first interactions almost seems too quick even if it is a supernatural love. That is what my aunt was saying anyways. She said that it is believable but still questionable at the same time.
I have honestly never heard of something being called Mary Sue as well. Never ever heard the phrase so it is nice to pick up on something new to me. Have you just now seen the movie? I hope you liked it a lot and become a Twilighter as well. You should definitely read the books and then try seeing the movie again either way it goes because it is just a totally different experience. Great input and I hope we hear from you more often now that you are slowly being sucked into the world of Twilight.
Back to top Go down
Tamran
Administrator
Tamran

Female
Number of posts : 1677
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 3:17 pm

i'm shocked at the people saying they've never heard the term mary sue. must be a fanfic term used between writers..lol.

i'm happy with your review as you know. Very Happy since you tried reading the book and can't get into it. at least you got what it's all about just from the movie. that is a good thing that it came across how it should. like when you talked about how intense their love was. most book readers say so much was missing. but i think kristen and rob pulled it off just by how they worked together.

my mom liked the movie as well, but couldnt' get thru the book. i think cause it's long and drawn out on some parts. this coming from the girl who has read them 5 times..lol i too love the funny parts that were in the movie. but i'm glad yall as a whole did enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
cklover42
True Twilighter
cklover42

Female

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 4:22 pm

Hey I havent heard the term Mary Sue and I am a fanfic writer so there Razz I know it is hard for us Twilighters to believe but I can see how some people just cant get into the books. My mom loved Twilight but she was ready to quit during New Moon which was almost depressingly drawn out. In all the books besides Twilight I think there are spells of just dragging it out and some people just cant sit through that. I am such a damn Twilighter I would read them all again.....except New Moon which just depresses me a bit too much but yea kudos for the review. Hey Tam you should totally add a kudos icon like on myspace for blogs lol.
Back to top Go down
*Shantanee*
New Moon Fan
*Shantanee*

Female
Number of posts : 538
Job/hobbies : UPS Slave
Humor : Silly,Cynical,Outlandish,Fun Infectious Humor!
Registration date : 2008-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Never heard the term Mary Sue...I like it! I'm also glad when people who haven't read the book enjoyed the movie! it's possible...Glad you enjoyed it though! Smile

And CK I agree New Moon is sooo depressing...it's hard to get through sometimes it has it great moments for me cause of Jake and towards the last few chapters of it...it's exciting...I read it with the knowledge that I'll be reading Eclipse next(which is my favorite!) so that keeps me reading!
Back to top Go down
cklover42
True Twilighter
cklover42

Female

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:39 pm

Well I dont like Jacob of course so adding that with the depressing and overly done sad mood I just cant do it. I love the beginning and the end lol thats about it. Eclipse was great to me even though yet again some parts dragged but Twilight will always be my favorite. It is the book that got me hooked and kept me holding on to survive New Moon and get to Eclipse.
Back to top Go down
Tamran
Administrator
Tamran

Female
Number of posts : 1677
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:28 am

so strange about the mary sue. hell i'm not even a writer like trina and crys and i have heard of it. i was in one place, a twilight group and some of the writers there were calling it a mary sue. so that just kinda shocked me some that so many people, not just here but in some other places that this was posted didn't know what that was. i was like damn you mean i know something someone doesn't? Laughing no biggy or anything, just amusement for me is all.

yea eclipse is probably my least fav. other than one chapter that i rather enjoy...lol but i can't wait for the movie i'm sure it will be good. i'm sure they all will.
Back to top Go down
cklover42
True Twilighter
cklover42

Female

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:47 pm

All the writers I know were like Mary Sue what the hell does that mean lol so maybe it is a matter of who you hang out with or maybe even age but yea never heard of it at all. I cant wait for all the movies really. I mean how cool would it be to one day go to a store and see all four movies being sold together in its own little box....of course even if I have multiple copies of the movies I would still buy the complete box lol.
Back to top Go down
Trina
Administrator
Trina

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 6:43 pm

I looked it up, it started in fanfic I wanted to know where the term came from myself lol.

Quote :
The term "Mary Sue" is taken from a character created by Paula Smith in 1973 for her parody story "A Trekkie's Tale,"[5] published in her fanzine Menagerie #2.[6] The character in question was Lieutenant Mary Sue ("the youngest Lieutenant in the fleet — only fifteen and a half years old"). Smith's story poked fun at what she considered to be unrealistic and adolescent wish-fantasy characters appearing in Star Trek fan fiction of the period. Such characters were, in general, original (non-canon) and female adolescents who had romantic liaisons with established canon adult characters, or in some cases were the younger relatives or proteges of those characters. They also possessed unrealistic, unlikely, and often exotic skills and traits above and beyond those that would have been expected of any character in that particular series or of a conventional author surrogate. Later, the "Mary Sue" concept was expanded to include any author surrogate or overly idealized character who plays a major role in a plot, in original fiction as well as fan fiction.

Today, the term "Mary Sue" carries the strong connotation of wish-fulfillment, and is commonly associated with self-insertion, the literal writing of oneself into a fictional story. However, a true self-insertion is a literal and generally undisguised representation of the author; most characters described as "Mary Sues" are not literal self-insertions, though they are frequently said to be "proxies"[7] or stand-ins of some sort for the author. The negative connotation of the term comes from this very "wish-fulfillment" implication: the "Mary Sue" is regarded as being a poorly developed character, one who is too perfect and lacking in three-dimensionality to be accepted as realistic or interesting. Such proxy characters, critics claim, exist only because the author wishes to see himself or herself as the "special" character in question.

The term is also associated with over-the-top and clichéd character features, such as exotic hair and eye colors, mystical or superhuman powers greater than those of the other characters, exotic pets, possessions or origins, or an unusually tragic past, especially when these things are glaringly out of keeping with the inner consistency of the canon. These features are commonplace in examples of "Mary Sues", though even a character who lacks them may be labeled a "Sue" by some critics. The term is more broadly associated with characters who are exceptionally and improbably lucky. The good luck may involve romance ("Mary Sue" always gets her man); adventure ("Mary Sue" always wins a fight or knows how to solve the puzzle); and popularity (the "right people" seem to gravitate towards the character). These characters confront very few significant problems while attempting to achieve their goals. "Everything goes her way" is a common criticism regarding "Mary Sues", the implication being that the character is not sufficiently humanized or challenged to be genuinely interesting and sympathetic

Here's the link to it on wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Interesting to see how that term came about. I think Bella is pretty Mary Sue for sure now. But I still love the movie lol.
Back to top Go down
cklover42
True Twilighter
cklover42

Female

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Wow you learn something new everyday. Like I said I have never heard that before and I have been writing fanfics for years now but then too I am only 21 and usually the writers I hang out with are either my age or close to it so maybe that is why we havent heard the term. It sounds so funny "Mary Sue" but thanks that makes sense now. I dont think Bella is really Mary Sue.....it even sounds weird writing that lol....but maybe if you read the books you might have a different opinion of her. Then too it might just make you think she is extremely Mary Sue lol.
Back to top Go down
TeamVampire
Bitten
TeamVampire

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 11:16 am

I thought it was ok...kinda brought shame though...and that there STILL talking about Twilight is annoying. I love Twilight but its getting a lil tiring.
The director was a psycho anyway..if you saw those delted scenes..
Back to top Go down
jason.smith.canada
Bitten

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-11-02

PostSubject: Moncler contribute to you handsomeness and love in winter    Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 9:10 am

People often misunderstand that moncler company only sale [url=http://www.monclercoat4u.com/ ]moncler outlet[/url], because moncler jackets is the most famous brand in the world, people ignore their coats, which first open the domestic market. <br>Unlike other brands that first famous of its jackets, moncler first product moncler jackets for people. As the first model of moncler jackets, moncler jackets stress more about warmth and comfort instead of style. <br> <br>[url=http://www.monclercoat4u.com/ ]moncler jackets[/url] use the fluffy coating on the inner side which helps in keeping the body temperature normal. On the outer side, deep and cozy pockets have been stitched for putting in the hands. The stitching of these coats is done strongly so as to avoid any kind of breaking in case of wearing them roughly. Consider the situation in Europea that winter always with heavy snow and wind, their coats are not ordinary coats. The purpose of designing mncler jackets is that keep people away from severe cold. No matter how cold it is outside, people can also [url==http://www.monclercoat4u.com/warmest-winter-coats.html ]warmest winter coats[/url] in that place where heavy snow falls often. <br> <br>Warmth as well as comfort, [url=http://www.monclercoat4u.com/Pharrell-Moncler-Vest.html ]pharrell moncler vest[/url] help people enjoy the happy life while snow outside. With moncler jackets, people can do extreme activity and try their best to hiking, skiing and running. But the heavy weight then becomes the problem. After long-term practice, people often feel tired. Varied by people who favour moncler jackets, they demands a new product that lightweight. This promote the process of manufacture moncler jackets. <br> <br>Continues the way of moncler jackets. Moncler jackets also ensure people warmth and comfort, with 3 down gram design, people only feel sleeping in bad instead of walking in snow. Using environmentally friend materials, this jacket ensure people health as well as warmth. Not need to worry about snow, its waterproof design adapt to all conditions. No matter you are hiking, skiing and running, lightweight design moncler jackets fit for long term practice. For example, [url=http://www.monclercoat4u.com/moncler-branson-grey.html ]moncler branson grey[/url] for women use high technology lightweight. Feeling gentle and keeping warm,a lightest down garment is as light as 90 gram,but the longest one isn't heavier than 230 gram.The products are limited to sell as 2400 pieces around the world. <br> <br>As soon as its jackets outlet, people all consider the style of [url=http://www.monclercoat4u.com/moncler-branson-down-jacket-black.html ]moncler branson down jacket black[/url] or [url=http://www.monclercoat4u.com/moncler-branson-down-jacket-grey.html ]moncler branson down jacket grey[/url]. There are so many jackets in the world that all of them look the same. In order to make their jacket different, designer of moncler jackets pay more attention to style and colors. After using highlight colors to attractive people, it is difficult to find orange and yellow moncler jackets online. <br>Since [url=http://www.monclercoat4u.com/moncler-everest-jacket.html ]moncler everest jacket[/url] become more and more popular, moncler jackets sale to the International market. Since it stand out of the competitors, people will never regret purchase money on such stylish ones.
<p>As the fast and fierce development of web within previous 10 years, people at the moment can now obtain stuffs from web at low-priced price ranges easily. Moncler grows up within web as well. you could possibly maybe get women [url=http://www.monclercoat4u.com/moncler-gaelle.html ]moncler gaelle[/url] from web easily. they are not the outdoors wears you could possibly maybe refuse in winters! they are light, comfort and reduce and fast dressed. The substance is calming and loose sufficient for just about any person to stroll regarding the business business office or maybe a club at an productive movement without possessing the will require of displaying everyone his buff or plump appearance.</p>
more moncler jackets,please visit [url=http://www.monclercoat4u.com/moncler-shiny-trench-coat-shop.html ]moncler shiny trench coat shop[/url]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twilight Movie Thoughts   Twilight Movie Thoughts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Twilight Movie Thoughts
Page 1 of 1